Preparing For Surgery
The hospital will call you approximately 2-3 weeks prior to the procedure for pre anesthesia testing. 4. You will be called the night before by the hospital to tell you what time to arrive at the hospital. 5. You will need to schedule an appointment with your family doctor for an exam at least 3 weeks prior to the procedure. Please have your doctor fax us a medical clearance. 6. I f need be, you will be instructed to see a cardiologist prior to the surgery. This will need to be done at least 1-2 weeks prior to the surgery. Please have the cardiologist fax us a cardiac clearance. 7. Please contact your insurance company to let them know of your upcoming surgical procedure. 8. NOTHING to eat or drink after midnight the night before the procedure, unless otherwise instructed.
Medication To Stop Before Surgery
- Discontinue aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve or Motrin two weeks before surgery.
- Discontinue blood-thinners (Coumadin, warfarin, Plavix) 10 days before surgery. You may need to consult with your internist or primary doctor to determine if you should take additional medicine after discontinuing blood-thinners.
- You may continue to take blood pressure and other heart medicine.
Preparing For The Day Of Surgery
- Do not eat or drink after midnight the night before your surgery. You may take heart and blood pressure medicine the morning of surgery with a sip of water.
- Bring a family member or friend with you to the hospital the day of your surgery. You will need someone to provide transportation home from the hospital after your procedure if you are having same-day surgery. If you are being admitted to the hospital, you will need to arrange transportation the day of your discharge.
- Please bring a photo ID and your insurance card to the hospital.
- Leave jewelry and valuables at home.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes to the hospital. If you are having shoulder or arm surgery, wear a zip or button-up shirt. If you are having knee or ankle surgery, wear loose fitting pants or shorts.
- Please call (708) 429-0907 to set up your post-operative follow-up appointment for ten to fourteen days after surgery if you have not already been assigned a post-operative appointment.
Ask the Doctor!
Submit your question on the next page and Dr. Nigro will respond to you personally.